At McKinstry, we're proud to be a collective group of innovators and problem solvers, builders and engineers, mentors and students. We strive to create a safe and engaging work environment that empowers you to do the work you are passionate about.
We believe deeply that energy and facility services, engineering and construction are revolutionizing the built environment and if you're driven by our mission to transform ideas into meaningful relationships and together, build a thriving planet, McKinstry may be the place for you.
Total collaboration and a diverse, employee-centric work experience are what we can provide you. Integrated delivery and true consultative partnership is what you will help us provide for our clients. Our culture is what differentiates us and because of this, we seek exceptional talent that believes what we believe.
Here's where you come in:
We are currently seeking a Lead Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team as a member of our growing Engineering and Design division in Seattle, Washington.
You're great at:
- Trains and mentors design staff.
- Meets with each project team and construction managers to review the project as the design develops.
- Assists in planning and leading training sessions for design staff.
- Coordinates equipment selections with design team. Includes electrical engineers, structural engineers and architects.
- Coordinates with Estimators and Program Managers to develop the scope of work.
- Act as steward of McKinstry culture; communicate and influence policies and procedures.
- Familiar with building information modeling concepts and practices when using BIM as a design platform.
- Coordinates designs and negotiates deadlines through a collaborative effort with CAD/BIM professionals, Engineers, Project Managers, sales leads, cost estimators, Project Manager's and detailing.
- Uses independent judgment to apply, maintain, and enforce current Revit/AutoCAD standards.
- Proposes recommendations to optimize energy efficiency including:
- Control strategies
- Equipment replacement
- System modifications
- Implementation of innovative technologies.
- Investigates, evaluates and troubleshoots existing system operations.
- Confirms and documents existing site conditions.
- Including existing comfort and maintenance issues.
- Foresee potential future issues based on previous projects.
- Provides a variety of system designs that might include air, hydronic, lighting, piping, plumbing, sheet metal, architectural, electrical power, lighting and data telecom systems.
- Performs design calculations as applicable to design field: mechanical, plumbing, electrical, structural or architectural.
- Accurately completes load calculations or successfully supervises the development of an accurate load calculation by others.
- Edits, authors, and negotiates design specifications.
- Authors and edits controls description of operation
- Predicts hours to complete design tasks and identifies in advance the need for additional staff to complete design work on schedule.
- Frequently reviews design with sales and estimating to ensure project is within budget/ VE ideas have been explored.
- Responsible for the design start of new projects
- Performs AutoCAD, Revit and manual drafting tasks as assigned.
- Performs preliminary design field surveys for potential projects.
- Consistently applies, maintains, and enforces current design standards.
- Runs MEP coordination (field clash detection) meetings.
- Ability to coordinate with design teams on structural architectural, civil and electrical.
- Completes designs with a level of quality in the design documents that leads to a minimum amount of clarification required during construction
- Identifies to Senior Design Engineer any changes that affect budgets.
- Performs and reviews energy modeling calculations.
- Reviews design work of others.
What we would like to see from you:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or related engineering field is required.
- Three (3) years of experience in engineering design or related field is required - five (5) preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio required
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit required.
- Energy modeling experience required.
- Knowledge of equipment selection procedures including the layout of equipment with the required equipment clearances and good design practices preferred.
- P.E. registration is preferred.
- LEED AP is preferred.
The McKinstry group of companies are equal opportunity employers. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment, and training.
McKinstry is committed to strengthening our diversity through recruiting and retaining minority and women professionals from all backgrounds. Our commitment is consistent with our recognition that it is the outstanding people within McKinstry who have always been the source of our strength. We recognize that promoting diversity is an integral component of our continuing quest for organizational excellence.
This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
McKinstry is a drug-free workplace. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a pre-employment drug and alcohol test, complying with the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act and a Confidentiality Agreement, in addition to successful outcomes of background and reference checks.
Anyone with questions or concerns regarding Equal Employment Opportunity should contact their direct supervisor or the Human Resources Department without fear of retaliation of any kind.
Associated topics: assembly, automotive, boiler, cae, chassis, mechanic, motor, msme, powertrain, turbomachinery