Position Description Benefits Supplemental Questions
The Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections (SDCI) is seeking to hire a Drainage Reviewer for Construction- Civil Engineering Specialist, Sr. The position will perform plan review for compliance with the Seattle Stormwater Code, Side Sewer Code, and Grading Code. A portion of this review position is spent coaching the public and reviewing/issuing electronic permits in the SDC Permit Center. This position works with building owners, architects, engineers, contractors, developers, and inspectors regarding drainage plans and code requirements.
* Please note that we have one position available for either a Senior or Associate level Drainage Reviewer. This position is posted in conjunction with 2019-00348 Drainage Reviewer for Construction- Civil Engineering Specialist, Assoc. If you would also like to be considered for the Associate level Drainage Reviewer, you will need to apply to that job posting as well.
* Ensure implementation of Onsite Stormwater Management for new construction projects in the City of Seattle
* Review building permit application plans to determine requirements in compliance with applicable codes for drainage and sewer issues, including flow control, water quality, side sewer requirements, green stormwater infrastructure (GSI), temporary construction stormwater control, and soil amendment requirements
* Review side sewer permit applications and issue electronic permits
* Assist in Code and Director's Rule development for issues that may impact SDCI's customers
* Provide coaching for applicants, homeowners, neighborhood groups, architects, inspectors, engineers and other design professionals
* Serve as a point of contact regarding private property stormwater/side sewer issues for co-workers within SDCI, and other City Departments and public agencies
* Understand and commit to actively supporting the City and Department goals in promoting racial equity and social justice
Requires the equivalent of four years of Civil Engineering office experience and an Associate Degree in Civil Engineering Technology or two years of college level coursework in engineering and construction technology (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
* Ability to read and interpret plans, drawings and determine the complexity of requirements for the site
* Work under limited supervision and provide guidance to other technical staff. Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
* Self-starter, highly organized with good written and oral communication skills, especially when conveying technical code information
* Ability to work as a team member
* Ability and willingness to learn and adapt to rapidly changing new technologies.
* Desired computer skills include MS Excel, GIS software, WWHM, CAD, Blue Beam, MGS Flood
Additional Information:The Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections is a proud participant in the Race and Social Justice Initiative, a citywide effort to realize the vision of racial equity.
We require a strong commitment to customer service and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences; people of color, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Associated topics: building code, concrete, drainage, draw, microstation, remedial, roadway, structural analysis, traffic, transportation